This particular Cabbage Salad recipe has a trick - you need to soak the cabbage with salt for almost an hour. What you want is for the cabbage to be tender so that you can actually enjoy it and not feel like you’re eating wood! Plus, this recipe is completely vegan and does not contain any mayonnaise like most cabbage salads do, such as the coleslaw salad. Additionally, the dressing in this recipe is more Asian flavored and you can also add peanuts to it.
- 1 white cabbage
- 1 small red cabbage
- 2 carrots shredded
- 2 green onions shredded
- 2 tablespoons of sesame
For the dressing:
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of date syrup
- 2 tablespoons of demerara sugar
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- A pinch of black pepper
1. Start with the cabbage- cut them into thin strips and place them in a large bowl- large enough so that it will be easy to mix the salad into.
2. Add the salt to the bowl and mix very well - you can also do it with your hands.
2. Let the cabbage sit for 45 - 60 minutes. After 45 minutes, strain the bowl from water completely. Now the cabbage is ready for the salad.
3. Add the carrots, green onions, and sesame to the bowl.
4. In a small bowl, mix all of the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.
5. Enjoy, but you knew that already!